Patent landscaping is a complete analysis of extracted data related to a particular technology domain. These data includes past and present status of that technology in corresponding market, its future insights, associated IP information, competitive intelligence as well as technology transfer. Patent landscaping should be done in a proper way to get better results.
Key steps for patent landscaping analysis
1. Determination & interpretation of client`s aim or purpose
– Study of background information about the client`s aim or purpose.
– Identification of technological aspect behind the client`s aim or purpose.
– Figure out the need of market research level, where the client wants to launch his product that may be either at national level or global level.
2. Setting up of a keywords library to discover the new queries
– Identify the related significant terms.
– Search proper synonyms words for these terms.
– Identify the proper keywords, directly from the invention background & its technological aspects.
3. Data extraction with better patent portfolio management
– To proofread the results of novelty or patent search, non-patent literature (or scientific literature) search is also required.
– During searches, appropriate filters or restrictions should be taken such as priority date (or date of filing), IPC class, USPTO class, patent expiry date etc.
4. Design a primary format for landscaping report and consult with client
– Discuss already searched technology curves and trends with client.
– Try to solve out confusions or problems related to landscaping search results.
– Prepare a flow chart or work flow type report using your assumptions or ideas related to client`s aim or question.
5. Re-establishment of keywords library for final search and analysis
– Add new terms or concepts those are generated after consulting with client.
– Finalise the aim of landscaping search.
6. Cover all relevant area regarding to technology advancement and market research
– Freedom to Operate (FTO) search is required such as when a client wants to launch his product or technology in particular country, then FTO search is necessary to avoid the risks of infringements.
– Appropriate awareness of IPR laws related to client`s aim or purpose.
– Procedures and regulatory fillings should be known before the launching of new product or technology.
– Non-patent literature search provides more effective and proof read results.
– Relevant IP market research about competitor companies or big players of same technological field.
– Proper SWOT analysis is required to generate more future insights for the new product or technology.
– White space and gap analysis is also important to find safe and potential research domain.
– Propose a better and strategic business planning for new product or technology that is going to be launched.
7. Assemble all extracted data and arrange them in the final report format
– Use of proper data representation tools such as charts, graphs, tables, work-flows etc.
– Write down all references or links.